2/28/2015

PAINTING

Their poems influenced me so deep I couldn't avoid myself from painting them. It could be considered as a humble tribute to the great master poets, but my amateur work could not bring the good images as they are. Perhaps, it's because of the low quality colours I used. :D 

Ghalib

The Road with Thorns – Ghalib (Translated from the Urdu by Robert Bly and Sunil Dutta)

Why didn’t I burn when I saw the heat on the face of the Great One?
 My eyes did see Her; now I’m envious of my own eyes.

The world believes that I am a fire-worshiper
 Because when I cry flames leap out of my eyes.

The Great One comes to kill me-but I am so jealous 
I die just glancing at the sword She is holding.

It’s sad that She pulled her hand away from my torture. 
She did that because She could see that I was enjoying that.

Wine kills the world; blame the mouth of the pitcher for that.
 Even wine quivers when it sees your beauty go by.

There’s a way we sell even our deepest poetry,
 But only after we’ve checked the depth of the benefactor.

I was afraid to walk because I had blisters on my feet.
Now I see the road is filled with thorns; that makes me happy.

The lightening that fell on Moses should have fallen on Ghalib.
You know we always adjust the amount of the wine to the quality of the drinker.  

Rabindranath Tagore 
Gitanjali XIII   - Rabindranath Tagore

The song that I came to sing remains unsung to this day.

I have spent my days in stringing and unstringing my instrument.

The time has not come true, the words have not been rightly set; only there is the agony of wishing in my heart.

The blossom has not opened; only the wind is sighing by.

I have not seen his face, nor have I listened to his voice; only I have heard his gentle footsteps from the road before my house.

The livelong day has passed in spreading his seat on the floor; but the lamp has not been lit and I cannot ask him into my house.

I live in the hope of meeting with him; but this meeting is not yet. 

4 comments:

  1. You painted those pictures? Amazing! And beautiful poems! Keep it up Sonam! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't know you are also a painter. So envious of you, why are you so talented? Like the paintings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful poem read and nice paintings~

    ReplyDelete

  4. As Sherub mentioned already, why are you so talented? An excellent writer and awesome painter as well. The paintings are wonderful :) Hope you have been doing well. Great days ahead. Take Care!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...